Facebook      

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paint Stripping...

I had a friend suggest those sonic things, too!

Thing is - I want to strip Finecrap and plastic as well as metal - I wonder how resiliant they'd be to that treatment or the pure alcohol.

Same as before Ben:

Plastics and Resin (and metal) : Biostrip
Metal: Nitromorse

All the rest in my opinion involve too much time, effort or smell and give less than perfect results.

(I've tested : Dettol, Simple Green (Pinesol), and Oven cleaner)
Chris

"from mud, through blood to the green fields beyond..."
Brigadier General Hugh Elles

Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words "I have a cunning plan" marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?

Biostrip has good reviews - I did watch a video where a chap said it softened a Finecast model but maybe that's because it's so incredibly variable in quality?

(10-30-2017, 08:29 PM)Void Spinner Wrote: Biostrip has good reviews - I did watch a video where a chap said it softened a Finecast model but maybe that's because it's so incredibly variable in quality?

This depends on how long you leave it in. I made this mistake once with a Ready to Roll resin 20mm US truck (I actually forgot about the truck - i left it in for about 3 days!) and I've never made that mistake again. A second truck came out perfect. The other advantage is that if you have a model thats been glued together and maybe has greenstuff filling or mods, if you are gentle it will not attack the glue or filler. OTOH maybe you want the model reduced to its separate parts. You'll have to experiment to work out the timings. Nitromorse is the "parana" of strippers it will attack everything apart from the metal and eat it clean away - that includes your hands. Biostrip is comparatively benign and EV friendly, but I'd still recommend some glove protection.

Any paint shipping with plastic or resin should be treated like leaving something in the oven. Regularly check on it. Metals you can generally forget about, but with NM the jobs done in about an 30mins, if that.
Chris

"from mud, through blood to the green fields beyond..."
Brigadier General Hugh Elles

Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words "I have a cunning plan" marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon