Facebook      

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
June 11th [new date] "Stalingrad 1942" GAMES DAY

@ Tallyho HERE
No battle plan survives contact with dice smilie

AKA/Mark Foulds

So now I blog...

(05-15-2017, 09:07 PM)Dranask Wrote: @ Tallyho HERE

Thank you, Mark. Ben, it seems I got your choice wrong. If you want to stay with playing German, I'm sure Mark or Trev (who stated an open preference) will be happy to partner Denis if required.  I know Trev has a leaning towards the Russians, so I'll ask him on Wednesday as he will be unaware of these arrangements as he no longer looks at these forums.
Chris

"from mud, through blood to the green fields beyond..."
Brigadier General Hugh Elles

Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words "I have a cunning plan" marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?

I must admit that yes I would love to play the Germans with Christoph! But I am flexible. =)

Good idea, Ben. Pretend as if you defended the motherland - just to then deflect in the right moment, destroying all hopes for the Kommunisten!

I game because I am happy- I am happy because I game - it's a vicious cycle!

My Blog for the 15mm WW2 enthusiasts

Trev has agreed to partner Denis with the Russians. So Ben, you will be teeming up with Chris and Mark.
Chris

Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words "I have a cunning plan" marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?

Now back from China so will be able to attend. Happy to just wonder and chew the fat!
'I rode a tank, held a Generals rank, when the blitzkrieg raged and the bodies stank'

Everything is in place for Sunday. The game will be set up for kick-off at 10am. There will be a player briefing so if you can be there a little before 10am that would be great. The game can accommodate 5 players max.

On the German side one of the three players would act as the commander and determine where any reserves and or returning wounded are committed. On the Russian side, one player will act as commander and with his chaps determine defensive positions, he would also control the distribution of any re-enforcements and returning wounded.

Dougie has a few house rules specific to the game. If possible, I'll give these an airing before the game, otherwise Dougie will brief you all on the day.

This game was last played over 2 days with 4 players over the 6 foot x 6 foot terrain boards that make up a well know sector of Stalingrad. We therefore have a lot to get through. It is planned to get in at least 7 hours playing time at two moves an hour. This should take us until 5pm. Dougie would like to be away a little after 6pm.

Mark and I will be there to met Dougie and help set up.

See you all on Sunday.
Chris

Great, I can't wait! See you on Sunday. I will try to be there well before 10 am. What is the post code again?

sl6 4px
No battle plan survives contact with dice smilie

AKA/Mark Foulds

So now I blog...

I had a great day today! Many thanks for a splendid game. Again take it as a compliment, but I really didn't enjoy being a Commander of German troops in Stalingrad in Nov. 1942. That said, the game was far more than I expected it to be.

First of all, the game offered:
- beautiful scenery
- well laid out board
- very nicely painted miniatures
- all kinds of tools to plan an attack

You get a feel good athmosphere and advance in force with your own well laid out plan, spirits high and readied Guns! But you get so much more - far more than you would have asked for.

And it is not the grinding advance through a ruined city under constant bombardment or the imense strain of expecting ambushes from every pile of ruins in your front.

No, what you really get and what kills you is:

- deadly mines
- undiscovered pillboxes opening fire from very short range
- snipers
- and worst : scores of Sovjet infantry popping out amongst your own troops, rendering any built-up front or line of advance useless.

Chaotic conditions indeed, but we yet trotted on and moved forward under mounting losses, knowing that just a miracle could save us... a feeling of despair slowly erased the "feel good athmosphere" until doom was expected.

What a game!

All in all, a great experience and a great game had with you lot. Many thanks for putting it up for us and looking forward to similar events!

(06-11-2017, 09:22 PM)Chris Wrote: I had a great day today! Many thanks for a splendid game. Again take it as a compliment, but I really didn't enjoy being a Commander of German troops in Stalingrad in Nov. 1942. That said, the game was far more than I expected it to be.

First of all, the game offered:
- beautiful scenery
- well laid out board
- very nicely painted miniatures
- all kinds of tools to plan an attack

You get a feel good athmosphere and advance in force with your own well laid out plan, spirits high and readied Guns! But you get so much more - far more than you would have asked for.

And it is not the grinding advance through a ruined city under  constant bombardment or the imense strain of expecting ambushes from every pile of ruins in your front.

No, what you really get and what kills you is:

- deadly mines
- undiscovered pillboxes opening fire from very short range
- snipers
- and worst : scores of Sovjet infantry popping out amongst your own troops, rendering any built-up front or line of advance useless.

Chaotic conditions indeed, but we yet trotted on and moved forward under mounting losses, knowing that just a miracle could save us... a feeling of despair slowly erased the "feel good athmosphere" until doom was expected.

What a game!

All in all, a great experience and a great game had with you lot. Many thanks for putting it up for us and looking forward to similar events!

Ditto - a great game 
A big thanks to Doug and Tallyho for organising and putting it on.
A big thank you to our oppos  who put on the appropriate appearance when said Soviet troops  crashed the party (pictures to follow).
A last but not least to my battle comrades .

A great first game of the year for me. 
Looking forward to more

Quick question - my pictures are not the greatest from this session (almost as poor as my dice rolls on the day).
Has anyone any to share that I can add to the blog entry.
@Christophe - if you manage to blog this can you let me know and I will link to you.

Do we have copies of the material that we can crib from ?
@Tallyho I know you grabbed a few pics of the org sheets

I have a few good pictures which I will send to you once I get the chance to download and review. I am currently still up to my ears with moving to the new place, so it will take a few more days before I can see to it.

This is my blog post on it http://ttmadness.blogspot.com/2017/06/stalingrad-20mm-rapidfair.html (which will become active after 16:00 today (15/6/2017).
Any omission or errors are mine - do feel free point them out. 
@Chris I wrote it from the Russian Viewpoint to give you the latitude to do a similar one from the German point of view.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon